Welcome to Miami

U2's Pop is a tricky album. First off I admire the balls it took to release it. U2 is a super group who have an established sound and a hugely established fan base. So if it's not broke don't fix it, right? Not in this case. On Pop they change they're sound up a bit for a sound that doesn't really fit the band to be honest. Off the album there are two songs that really are any good (Starring At the Sun and Last Night On Earth). So where does that put today's song, Miami? Well into the not so good category.



Here are my problems with this song. First it's about a minute and a half to long. It's too quiet (can anyone really hear Bono?) and the payoff comes way to late in the song. Again this has to deal with the song's length. If it was shortened about the pay off (where Bono starts to raise his voice) would have the effect the band is looking for.

I was talking with my brother in-law, Paul, about the song and he was telling me that Miami actually sounds different live and that the band realised that they had something there but blew on the album and corrections have been made. This is comforting. I've only seen them once though and they didn't play it so I can not attest to this. Alas.

Five Songs I Can't Live Without (At Least This Week)
1. The Ballad Of Sal Villanueva- Taking Back Sunday
2. Raspberry Swirl- Tori Amos
3. Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp- Kid Rock
4. Untitled- Eminem
5. Don't Wanna See Your Face- John Butler Trio

No comments:

Post a Comment