Home With Marc Broussard



There used to be this great record store in Southampton called Long Island Sound. When I was younger this place was really popular because it used to sell bootleg CD's. Or just random live shows to some pretty cool bands. I got this great Nirvana show there called Roma. The only bummer was the bootlegs were much more costly, but totally worth it. Long Island Sound also had this great used CD collection. You could always stumble upon some kind of hidden gem in the racks and wonder why the hell some one would want to give it away.

I used to go to Long Island Sound during lunch breaks and look around. As I got older I bought less albums there because they were a bit pricey but I would frequent the Used section. This one day I came in and I heard this great blusey type track playing over the speakers. I asked the guy behind the counter who and what it was and he informed me it was a song called Lonely Night In Georgia by Marc Broussard. I was instantly hooked and spent the $7.99 (it was the featured disc of the day so it was on sale) and went home happy.

I didn't love the entire album but I couldn't deny how awesome Broussard's voice is. The man just kills it. Favorite tracks for me were defiantly Lonely Night In Georgia and the album opener Home. These two songs are stellar. So while stumbling through itunes I saw that there as a live version of Home so naturally I had to see what that was like.

Don't get me wrong this track is good but I prefer the studio cut. This doesn't happen very often with live music where I prefer the studio version to the live cut. Here Home is such a great song on album and holds so much passion that I feel that some of it gets lost in the live version. It doesn't seem forced but it also doesn't seem to flow like it does on the album. There are times where it's a little more screamy then it needs to be. Broussard doesn't need to scream when he can sing that well. I don't know maybe it was just an off night.

When I saw Kelly Clarkson a couple of years back she performed this song in the middle of her set (yes you read that right I saw Kelly Clarkson and it was glorious). Apart of me thinks her version sparked even more love for this song. She killed it! Say what you will but Kelly Clarkson is amazing and I wish that she would release a live ep or something where she could take her version of Home on there. It's totally worth it people. Judge for yourself if you don't believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment