In A Blog Far, Far Away

Movie scores. I really can't get enough of them. It's all a part of the movie experience. A good score will make an average movie better and an excellent score will make an awesome movie… even more awesome. Scores are tricky you know? They have to be able to tell a story themselves as well as fit alongside what's going on in the film. Case and point would be the Braveheart Soundtrack. I can listen to that soundtrack outside of the movie and tell you every scene that is happening while the music is playing, but I also feel the emotion of the music. It's William Wallace's story being told through sting instruments. The music itself is able to evoke emotion on its own not just because you remember what's happening at that part of the movie.

A really good score uses themes. Take the Lost soundtracks for example. The music is excellent, and even though it's a TV show the music eclipses a number of movie soundtracks I've heard. The foundation of the Lost soundtracks are its themes. There's a life and death theme, specific character themes, an adventure theme, ect., ect. and these themes slip into a number of different tracks on the soundtrack. It's letting you know that there is something larger going on then what you're seeing on screen. Sometimes you get too caught up watching the film (or in this case show) and don't pick up on them right away. It's when you're playing the soundtrack and relaxing that you start to notice that the composer is telling you his own story. It's almost like a second movie. I can't tell you how many different times that Landing Party (Lost Season 4 Soundtrack) has made me cry or the chills I get listening to Charging Fort Wagner (Glory Soundtrack) not to mention that every time I listen to Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo: Il Triello (Titoli Finali) (Fist Full of Dollars Soundtrack) I want to be a gunslinger… I mean every time.

So it should be of no surprise that today's song comes from a movie soundtrack (I mean let's be honest I'm not going to go on a long movie score rant and then talk about the Sex Pistols. That's just silly.). As a matter of fact this particular piece of music speaks to my inner child as well as to my grown up dorkiness. Today's piece, Fight In the Dungeon, comes from none other than Star Wars Return of the Jedi.


 Immediately I know that this is a Star Wars song, I mean who can mistake those trumpets? My next thought is trying to figure out from which movie and what scene (it's like a little game for me). After a minute or so I'm able to figure out it's from Return of the Jedi when Luke is battling the Rancor (yeah I know). Funny story about the Rancor. I used to have this awesome Rancor toy growing up, I mean this thing was badass. Sadly it broke one day due to epic playing. Naturally I was crushed and asked my parents to see if it could be fixed. They took my Rancor toy and said they would bring it to a guy who could fix it for me. Now only being eight or nine I had no idea that there was no such thing as a magical toy fixer profession. I always imagined this guy in a little workshop with a bunch of busted toys all around him working over a table with a lamp and tiny glasses putting back together beloved children's toys. I guess kind of like a shoe peddler. Now that I'm older I know it was just a story that my parents told me in order for me to deal with the loss better. Sadly I never saw that Rancor again, nor did I get a replacement Rancor. I'm sure he ended up in the trash somewhere or maybe tucked away somewhere with the intentions of being fixed but life events got in the way. Although, a small part of me is still waiting to hear from the toy fixing peddler in hopes that he'll tell me that my Rancor is ready to be played with again. Ah to dream…



Back to the music. Fight In the Dungeon isn't the greatest track from a Star Wars Soundtrack but it's a good one. I had no problem associating the music to the scene (some of you may argue that's because I'm a dork, and I would not continue this argument because it's mute). Themes from other parts of the greater score surface. Check it out around the middle of the piece you can hear Luke's Theme start to weave in then back out into the main piece. I believe this happens twice. I don't think that the Star Wars Soundtracks get enough credit for how well John Williams is able to seem important themes in out of different pieces of music. Take the prequel soundtracks for example. If you listen carefully there are numerous occasions where The Imperial March can be heard or Leia's Theme sneaks in. They're brief glimpses into the greater score that comprises the Star Wars universe.

You see Return of the Jedi holds a special place in my heart because it was my favorite of the original trilogy growing up (now that I'm older Empire Strikes Back has taken that spot). It just reminds me of being a kid again. I remember getting sick and my mom putting on Return of the Jedi while I lay on the couch home from school (I always recall this one incident where it was raining. Actually I think I might associate Return of the Jedi with rain…interesting). I remember my ewok village toy set and how it could be used for other toys outside of Star Wars (looking at you G.I. Joe). I get really defensive over Jedi, and I think a large part of is due to the fact that it was such a huge part of my childhood (I have managed to retain my original Return of the Jedi pillow case. The sheets are long gone but I will never part with this).
Take for example when the original trilogy was re-released in the late 90's supposedly remastered, I almost had a nervous breakdown to what George Lucas did to Return of the Jedi. I mean come on! It was like the creator of this universe I loved and that was so intricial to my growing up experience was openly peeing in my face. When Star Wars was first released on DVD of course I jumped all over it but was disappointed to see it was the remastered editions. I actually went out and bought an additional copy of Return of the Jedi that held the original movie unbastardized by George Lucas. The remastered version is unwatchable…unwatchable. Sorry I'm getting a little off track here, it's just the thought of the remastered version of Jedi makes me want to punt a puppy.

These are all the thoughts that sore through my head like the Millennium Falcon (like that don't you?) this morning. It's funny I never really thought about how important the music from Return of the Jedi is to me. I've always held the movie so sacred that I never really thought that I hold the music just as sacred. Just look at one piece of the score does, it quickly transforms me back to an eight year old, home sick watching Darth Vader fulfill his destiny and restore balance to the Force (Star Wars is Vader's story even if the prequels tried to ruin it). I hope the toy fixing peddler calls me soon. I could totally go for causing some chaos with my Rancor figure.

Because it's awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment