Remember When the Music...

When I was in high school I was introduced to the music of Harry Chapin. For those who don't know who Harry Chapin is he is the man behind the song Cats and the Cradle. Chapin is one of the greatest story tellers ever. Not just in music, I mean ever. He has this ability through song and through speech to paint these wonderful crafted worlds that just suck you in. A lot of his songs are personal accounts and Chapin doesn't shy from presenting himself or his stories for what they are. Through out a brilliant blend of honesty and humor Chapin sings songs that tug on your heart or make you laugh out loud.

Today's song, Remember When the Music, comes from the live album The Bottom Line Encore Collection, which was actually given to me by Harry Chapin's mother. My mom developed a working relationship with Mrs. Chapin and during their talks my mother mentioned that I had started listening to her sons music. The next time they got together Mrs. Chapin brought a couple of her sons CD's and in those CD's was this live album. I was very touched. It's just a reflection of the whole Chapin way.


This song is about loss and Chapin's introduction helps to put you in his mind frame when he wrote it. Not only that but the emotion drips from his voice when he starts to sing. I for one am a huge John Lennon fan (one of my musical heroes) so this song definitely plays to me. It encompass the feeling of losing one of the greats. It's a beautiful song from an excellent story teller.

No comments:

Post a Comment