Remaining Faithful

I'm going to start off with a Random Music Note. Whoa... how unconventional I know. What would could possibly cause me to start off with a Random Music Note and not conclude? Is it the possibility of today's song being bad? Spoiler alert it's not. Could it be I've stumbled upon some cool music news that I simply must share with you the public? Spoiler Alert it's not. Could it be I couldn't think of an opening and this was the best transition I could come up with? Spoiler Alert... yes that's exactly it.

With O.A.R.'s new album coming out next Tuesday I've been listening to the band that was a bit more lately. A lot of their older stuff mixed in with their new single/song, Taking On the World Today. I went to http://www.oarsa.org/ to check out what some of the recent set lists had been and stumble upon a version of the band doing a cover of Adele's Rolling In the Deep. It was done on a satellite radio show here in New York. I was instantly intrigued and downloaded it. I have to say I like it. Does it hold the power and intensity that the original has? No but it's a fun little rendition. Instead of back up singers there's a small horn section and the band has given the song a kind of up beat, ska/reggae esq vibe. I was pleasantly surprised. Here's hoping that the band continues it's road to redemption with me because if King sucks I don't know if I'll be able to forgive them. So far they're one for two with a nice little bonus track on the side. We'll know more on Tuesday I suppose.

Now to the heart of the matter. I'm starting to develop a cold. Again no this has nothing to do with our song today but when I hit shuffle this morning I had no symptoms of a cold and when I left job number dos (that's Spanish for two) I could feel it in my head. What up wit dat? Makes no sense how the immune system works. On top of that summer colds are the worst. Your body temperature is all thrown off with the cold and it's freakin' hot. They're is no happy medium. Times like that I just want to spend the day soaking in the shower. Did I stumble upon some cure for the common cold? No but I like taking soaks when I get sick.... just feels nice.

I feel like I'm getting a little to personal here. I'm sure you really don't care about "soaks" or summer colds, and I'm not even sure if you care about O.A.R.'s cover of Rolling In the Deep. Although you should because it's pretty good. So in good in fact I think I'm going to include it. It's my site I can do what I please.



A lot of rambling tonight. Must be the cold. This mornings song also comes from the first Pearl Jam show I ever went to. It's funny with all the Pearl Jam songs I have on my ipod that the last two have come from the same show, which also coincidentally happens to be the first show theirs I ever went to. Weird right?  (Note this isn't the version I have on my ipod but still good)



The playing of Faithful helped to further prove the mental power that my ipod and I share. Yesterday Pearl Jam released the trailer for their up coming documentary, and like any good fan of course I watched it multiple times. It looks incredible and I can't wait for this thing to come out (along with a book and soundtrack.... saaaaaaaaaay what?). Needless to say this put me in the Pearl Jam mood. My ipod recognized this and provided me with a song to satisfy my needs.

Faithful would probably make my top 25 Pearl Jam songs. It comes off of Yield (depending on the day either Yield or No Code are my favorite Pearl Jam albums) but I prefer the live version. It's one of those songs that feels good with a crowd. For me personally it's the end of the song.

We never listen
Voice inside so drowned out
Drowned you are, you are, you are ev-er-ything
And everything is you
Me you, you me, it's all related
What's a boy to do?
Just be darling and I will be too
Faithful to you
For me it's the "Just be a darling and I will be too" line that really gets me (at my core people I'm a hopeless romantic). It's just sung so tenderly and I love how the music kind of drops out and gets rather soft.

The live version is especially better because of the use of the word "fuck". I know how childish right? No. I just love the line "the man upstairs is used to all of this fucking noise I'm through with screaming". The imagery is awesome. The frustration of unanswered prayers because all the other prayers are drowning them out and He is used to blocking things out. It's just a really cool image to paint, and the inclusion of the word "fuck" here helps to punctuate that frustration.

Faithful works as both a soft and hard (that's what she said?) Pearl Jam song. It blends both styles in smoothly and allows a fickle Pearl Jam fan to come off satisfied. You have the soft verses and then the more agressive chorus with some distortion and heavy guitar chords. What more could you possibly want from a Pearl Jam song?

No comments:

Post a Comment