Two For One Deal

Yesterday was a busy day and I didn't have time to write a post. Of course I hit shuffle to find the song of the day but never had a chance to sit in front of a computer and type something up. I had to work until like two and then my sister in-law was having her 30th birthday party so it was straight there for some good time shenanigans (who would have thought quoting Lord of the Rings frequently out of context would be so much fun?). So now I have the "daunting" task of writing two posts today. Instead of separating it though I thought I would try and make one uber post covering both songs. This isn't something I plan on doing a lot but it helps for today.



Here's my problem with Watch Me. By no means is this a bad song. Jay-Z has a steady flow throughout the coure of the entire song and the chorus is catchy. My problem stems from the fact that it's labeled as a Jay-Z and Dr. Dre collaboration, and I feel a little ripped off to be honest. Yes Jay-Z is rapping over a Dre beat which is pretty awesome, but Dre is also listed as rapping on the track. This is where it seems a little misguided. When you have two heavy weights like Dr. Dre and Jay-Z on one track I want to hear them sharing verses, feeding off each other. That's an ideal pairng to me. What I don't want is what happens in the Watch Me, which is Jay-Z raps the entire song and Dre takes care of the hook. Now it could be me but when you have some one with the name and the star power like Dr. Dre wouldn't you want him doing more than the hook? Seems like such a missed opportunity here.

I get that the real collaboration here is the flow of Jay-Z and Dre's beat here, I just feel there could have been so much more here. I'm not looking for Guilty Conscience or anything but these two should have been shredding it up together. Rap collaborations are funny because you either get songs where the two rappers just feed off each other and it kills or you get a song where there is so much promise and then you hear the track and it's "what was the big deal here?". There's no happy medium.

(Side Note: I just downloaded a new O.A.R. song, Taking On the World Today, and it's the first O.A.R. song I've really liked in quite some time... maybe there is hope for this next album after all. Hmmmmm)



The opening of this song made me think it was a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song. The groove just sounded like something they would produce. Once the song starts to kick into gear it becomes clearer and clearer that it's not a RHCP song. I actually don't remember this song all too well. As a matter of fact I don't listen to this record all too often. I wouldn't say it's my least favorite Kings of Leon record (that would be their latest release), but it also would be ranked as my favorite. So it's one of those albums by a band you like that gets medium play time. That album where you just take the songs you like off of it and throw them into a playlist.

What I do like about this album, Because Of the Times, is the band gets a little more aggressive sounding. The distortion gets cranked up and there's a bit more screaming here. I just found it to be harder than the other albums and it makes me want to re-think the album as a whole and go back and listen to it. Going to make it one of the goals for the week.

I also hear a bit of the Pixies in My Party which would make sense because Kings of Leon have been known to cover the Pixies from time to time at their shows. There's not a lot of lyrical substance here (I'm pretty sure he wants us to know that it's his party... crying optional I suppose), but the song does rock. That's good enough for me. Sometimes you just need to turn on that song or album that just shit kicks. I'm not looking for lyrics right here but I am looking for heavy guitars, distortion, and loudness. I love those moods.

Five Songs I Can't Live Without (At Least This Week)
1. Cadillac Pussy- Kid Rock (also has now become an awesome mixed drink)
2. Untitled- Eminem (dear God this song is ridiculous)
3. Rhinestone Eyes- Gorillaz
4. New Style- Beastie Boys
5. Bar- Zac Brown Band

No comments:

Post a Comment