Today I Am an R.E.M. Fan... And Song Of the Day Too

I was picking up the suit for my sisters wedding this weekend when it finally happened. All these years I've kind of skirted it never thinking it was possible. I had tried on separate occasions with the same results time and time again. It just seemed like it was never meant to be. Then today around 5:40 in a tuxedo shop it happened... I believe I became an R.E.M. fan.

As you may recall a week or so ago I was overcome with this urge to listen to R.E.M. in my car on the way home from work. This was something new for me. I never felt urges to play nothing but R.E.M. Sure if they were on a playlist or came across the shuffle that was fine with me but I very rarely seeked them out. Granted I didn't listen to them that day but I believe a seed was planted in my head. The station we listen to at work also plays a number of R.E.M. songs so I hear them at least once a day (I would say this is the watering of said seed). I've become particularly fond of Nightswimming (a great track that I downloaded a few minutes ago).

So what was the song that made the seed develop into the R.E.M. tree? It was Losing My Religion a song that had always kind of missed it's mark on me. I know it's this huge and iconic song but it really didn't do anything for me. It was there and I appreciated it but other then that...eh. That all changed today while I was waiting for my suit pants to be hemmed. I was listening to it and I kept thinking "wow...wow". It's so vulnerable. I always knew the song was good, I'm not that ignorant, it's just that the song never spoke to me. Today that changed. Today was the first time that I heard Losing My Religion. Today it helped me become an R.E.M. fan.

All of this is besides the point though because it has absolutely nothing to do with our song of the day. I did feel that it was important enough to share with you guys though. I've been trying for years to get into R.E.M. and I'm not saying that I'm going to go out and buy all their albums now, but I think I have a better appreciation for them now. Like right now I actually want to throw them on and just listen to them for a bit (What's the Frequency Kenneth? is actually playing as I type). I see this news worthy of A Year of Shuffling.



Fun fact about Cowboy Mouth, they're lead singer is also their drummer. How cool is that? The lead singing drummer is a rock rarity if you ask me. I'm sure Dave Grohl could pull it off and make it look natural (well lets be honest here folks there's very little Dave Grohl couldn't pull off), but other then that I'm not so sure. Ringo maybe? Besides the fact I just thought it was a fun little tidbit for today.

I liked the disheveled nature of this song. It's not really a guy singing as much as it is a dude talking about this girl he dated was awesome and then went bat shit crazy. The song isn't about singing purely it actually works better being off the way it is. He's just feeling the story he's telling and lets it take over. How great is the yell at the 1:30 mark? I love little things like that. When the singer just feels it and does something random not because he planned it because the song dictated it.

Love Of My Life reminds me of that country version of Gin and Juice that everyone downloaded in college because it said it was O.A.R. or Dave Matthews or Blues Traveler. Actually does anyone know who really sings that cover? I'd love to know. Any way the two songs share the same vibe. I love when I connect two songs together. It helps me to start laying down the foundation for a solid playlist. Hmmmm things to do after moving perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment