Debate on the Shuffle

It took us over sixty shuffles but we finally hit our first questionable moment. I was in the car with Shea and our friend Andy coming home from a successful run at Warrior Dash. I'll openly admit that I'm pretty sore, cut, and bruised but it was totally worth it. I got to jump over fire! I crawled under barbed wire through the mud! I navigated myself through the swamps of sadness despite losing one of my shoes! I survived and would willing do it again next year. All of that awesome is besides the point though. I asked Andy if he would be the guest shuffler of the week and he said yes. So we had just hit the express way when I had him hit the shuffle button. What happened was something I had been afraid of. The comedic styling of one Mr. Dane Cook started coming through the speakers and it started a bit of a debate.

My standings on the comedy tracks that are on my ipod has been if it plays then the next track would be the song of the day.The mentality of the project was the first song played through the shuffle. So I was listening to Dane Cook talk about super powers and figuring that the next track would be our song. Shea and Andy believed that we should hit the shuffle button again and find a new song. This didn't set will with me. I went into this thinking that it should be one push of the button a day and that there was no reset button. But listening to Shea and Andy they did make some good points. I went with the next track but I'll open up the forum to you Shufflers. In cases like this what should I do? Should I hit shuffle again or just wait for the next track? Help me figure this out so it doesn't become a problem again.

Download this mp3 from Beemp3.com

Robert Randolph and the Family Band (or RRFB as I shall be referring to them for the remainder of the post) are incredible. Robert Randolph plays the steel pedal guitar (if I'm not mistaken it has twelve strings and has to played on a flat surface) and just kills it. I had first heard of RRFB though my O.A.R. listenings (they do a really cool cover of Zeppelin's Fool In the Rain) so I picked up their live album Live At the Wetlands. Let me tell you guys this album rocks. It's like six tracks of just jamming out good times. Defiantly makes for a good summer/outside record.

I got to see RRFB open for Dave Matthews Band about six years ago, and it was such a cool experience. For starters Robert Randolph just commands the stage and demands your attention. It's done mostly through his playing but when he speaks or sings he's very energetic. Plus it didn't hurt that he did a cover of Voodo Chile into Billie Jean. After that I've pretty much been sold on Robert Randolph and the Family Band. It was just a bummer that their set was too short (I think it was only forty minutes).

Thrill of It comes off the Colorblind album and is a fun track to listen to with the windows open. It's smooth sounding and gets you in a good mood. I don't know how to explain the playing of Robert Randolph but it's almost like he's playing jazz with the steel pedal guitar. It just flows so effortlessly and sounds amazing. It's like his soul is pouring through his fingers and on to those strings. Although I prefer my RRFB live (there's just more room for jamming) I like this track a lot. It would have made for a good song going into Warrior Dash. It helps get the blood flowing.

Five Songs I Can't Live Without (At Least This Week)
1. I Should Have Known- Foo Fighters (sounds Petty esq)
2. Sign of Love- Neil Young fting Dave Grohl
3. O Children- Nick Cave (heard in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1)
4. Pot Kettle Black- Tilly and the Wall
5. Walk- Foo Fighters (I can't shake this song)

No comments:

Post a Comment