Sound the Bell Schools In

My cousin Helena was out over the weekend for my sisters bachelorette party. I was responsible for picking her up from the ferry and dropping her off, and a great idea dawned upon me this afternoon as I was driving her back. Guest shuffler! I handed her the ipod and waited to see what would happen. I had the same feeling I have when Shea is the guest shuffler of the week, you want a good song to sort of impress. It's like "yeah this is on my ipod, I know I'm pretty awesome". What followed was nothing short of magic.



Can't Touch This is the first rap song I ever loved. That and anything Kriss Kross did. What song better epitomizes the 90's rap scene better then Can't Touch This. It's so freakin' good! It's one of those songs that gets better with age. I think you just learn to appreciate it more. As a kid I would play the Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em tape over and over again. Let us take a second to discuss the name of this album. Is it me or is M.C. Hammer the least likely person to hurt anyone? It doesn't make sense. Maybe the title should have been something like Please Hammer Don't Fly Away with Those Parachute Pants. Not as catchy though.

My freshman year of college a friend and I were at a Burger King drive up and the guy in front of us was blasting some crappy rap song. I can't even think of what song it was, it's not important. We decided to compete with him for a music off. What did we start to blast? You guessed it, Can't Touch This. It was epic. We followed it up with Ice Ice Baby. Battle won.

While listening to the song today I couldn't help but think it's a bit long right? Just when you think the song is over he throws in another verse and another instrumental break. The longer the song the longer one can dance to it I suppose. As a kid I used to dance to this song all the time. Dance well? No. But I thought I was a freakin' super star. Getting older now I can't Hammer slide as well as I used to, but it doesn't stop me from trying. Although a little side note here, I can now do the running man better as an adult as I could as a pre-teen weasel. True story. I wonder if I had perfected the running man if it would have lead to more dates with girls? Let's ask Shea.

"Shea, if I knew how to do the running man when Can't Touch This was out do you think it would to lead to more girlfriend for me?"

"I'll give you the short answer...no. Maybe if you could do the worm."

The brutal honesty of my wonderful wife. No what I love about Can't Touch This (probably not that's why I'm going to tell you)? When you hear Super Freak  your first thought is, "is this Can't Touch This?" I'm sure that this didn't really bother Rick James either (not that I can speak for Rick James...bitch). He must have been like "damn this song is dope" (I'm also not sure if this is how Rick James spoke). I think that I might make a playlist that consists of the greatness of 90's rap. Some House of Pain, Kriss Kross, Vanilla Ice, Boyz To Men, and of course Hammer. Yeah I think I'll make this happen because I'm to legit to quit!

Five Songs I Can't Live Without (At Least This Week)
1. Tonight You Belong To Me- Eddie Vedder w/ Cat Power
2. Crazy- Aerosmith
3. Better Man (live at the Gorge)- Pearl Jam
4. PJ & The Rooster- Outkast
5. Going to California- Led Zeppelin

No comments:

Post a Comment