Iron Man... No Not That One

We are now entering the final week of living in our apartment and the majority of our things are sitting in brown boxes purchased from Home Depot. Now it's just moving them to storage and cleaning up the mess. The real pain in the ass though is that last Wednesday we moved our couch and dinning room chairs out so sitting down or getting comfortable at the end of the day is kind of... non-existent. Sitting on the floor has quite literally become a pain in the ass. Not to much longer though I suppose.



My initial thought when Iron Man started playing this morning was "oh crap". The brilliance of this song is also it's biggest downfall. Those opening chords are what sells the song and works it's way into your head like a beetle from the Lewis and Clark expedition (after writing this I ponder if this is something that actually happened to people traveling with Lewis and Clark. I could have sworn that I say it in a history movie once in high school. You know one of those ones where it's kind of an actual movie but at the same time it's not?)

For me the brilliance of Iron Man isn't the lyrics it's the music itself. Who doesn't know those opening guitar chords? I listened to it twice this morning because the second time I wanted to pay attention to the lyrics. I can't figure out if the "iron man" in this song is a good guy or a bad guy. It sounds like some of the things he's doing are good but then Ozzy throws words like vengeance around and it questions my theories on the song. When I was young I used to believe that it was about the super hero Iron Man, and being a Spider-Man fan it always bothered me that he didn't have a rock song. As I've gotten older I understand that it's not about comic book Iron Man but I still want there to be a rock song for Spider-Man (no I discount anything from the Broadway play).

Is it just me or does anyone else think of the man in the iron mask when this song plays? For some reason this morning while listening I was thinking of that poor bastard trapped in the iron helmet. Maybe it's because I've been reading those Songs of Ice and Fire books and I'm in a very medieval mood. If it's got swords and epicness I'm all about it right now. Maybe that warped my mind a little bit while listening or maybe secretly the man in the iron mask is Iron Man. Hmmmmm.

(Side Note: No I'm not at all excited about the new David Cook album that comes out tomorrow. I'm also not considering downloading it at midnight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment