Sitting On The Porch of MSG

Currently I'm waiting Muppets From Space because I couldn't find my copy of Muppets Take Manhattan. I could have sworn I saw it the other day but amongst the stacks and stacks of boxes and now it's gone. I suppose it'll turn up. Do you know that itunes doesn't have real copies of any of the Muppets songs? Everything is some stupid cover by some stupid children's band. Why can't I have the original copies of Muppet songs?! What the hell itunes!

My gripes with itunes lack of Muppets music is besides the point. Today is kind of a fun song of the day for me. It's a Pearl Jam song, but not just any Pearl Jam song. This version of Porch happens to come from the first Pearl Jam show I ever went to at Madison Square Garden. My mind was blown!  It's everything I would have wanted from my first Pearl Jam show. Some of the classics and some of the rarities and ending the night with Indifference with the house lights on. Twas a good two hour night of music. It's always exciting to own a copy of a concert you've been to and that's one of the greatest things about Pearl Jam. Every show they do gets recorded and uploaded on to their website two weeks later. For ten bucks you can relive the show over and over again. Not a bad deal if you ask me.



Now while this version of Porch isn't the one from my show (it was impossible to find on You Tube) it still holds the general principles. I love how the band strips down the beginning of the song. It has that bluesy/gritty feel to it before it jumps into the song. For some reason it gets the opening verse to really stick in your head. Maybe it's because each word is so deliberate. You can really tell that Eddie Vedder means it.

While the studio cut of Porch is one of my favorite tracks off of Ten (how hard is it to pick a favorite track off that album? It's like trying to figure out who your favorite child is.). The live version lends itself to letting the band really rock out, and rock out they do (Side Note: There is a whole lot of funk being played during the Muppets From Space... this pleases me). There's a slight little drum solo or a drum show case and the solo is just sick. McCready really just lets loose on the track and a three minute studio cut becomes a eight minute stadium rock fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment