Eh

One hundred twenty posts I think it's fair to say that you guys know at this point that I'm a pretty big Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder fan. Actually I'm pretty sure that's an understatement. Besides the point. For the most part I enjoy Eddie Vedder's solo stuff. It's a very mellow side and provides good background music. The Into the Wild soundtrack is excellent (and should have been nominated for an Oscar) and Uke Songs is a unique and fun album to listen to. With that being said Better Days, the song used for Eat Pray Love is a very subpar attempt.



I'm pretty sure that Better Days started off as a Pearl Jam song that didn't make the cut on to Riot Act. From there it kind of laid scrapped in what I can only imagine is a huge collection of awesome songs that Pearl Jam has not released to the public...yet. For me this song is in the middle of being pretty good to make Riot Act and not being good enough to make Into the Wild. It's very "eh" for me. I've listened to it a couple of times today and I'll admit I like it better today then I did when I first downloaded it or heard it, but it's still not enough. I expect more.

It almost seems that they asked him to provide a song for the movie and instead of coming up with an original he dusted this old thing off, added a couple of things here and there, and handed it in. Don't get me wrong I'm not calling Eddie Vedder lazy I'm just saying that this song isn't his greatest effort. I don't know maybe I set the bar to high? It's just that whenever there's a new Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder song/album coming out I get really excited and raise my hopes pretty high. So when the song doesn't connect or speak to me (which is very rare) then it's a bit of a let down (obviously). I think that's what happened here. Can't win them all I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment