The Game Has Changed

The Game. The Game? Hmmmmm I'm not really sure where to begin with this one. I for one was really excited for his first album (The Documentary) there was so much positive hype plus I was still had my love affair with Shady/Aftermath going on and even better then that Dr. Dre had his hands all over this album. What more could you ask for right? Everything about it seemed like it would be good, and speaking honestly it was a really good rap album. From start to finish The Documentary delivers the goods. Over hyped? Yeah probably. Solid? Yeah it's that too.

The worst part of this album (besides the fact that they changed the name of the album from N.W.A.) was all the drama that followed it. All that G-Unit, 50 Cent vs. The Game crap got annoying real fast. It was like all of you need to shut the hell up and just record songs. It was during that time period where 50 Cent had to beef with everyone. It just wasn't fun.

I think the split with G-Unit was probably the best and worst thing that could have happened to the Game. Yeah he shed himself of the garbage that 50 was becoming but he also lost that publicity that came with being associated with him. Once that beef died it seemed that the Game became an afterthought, I would say he neither won or loss that beef. Yeah he was still putting out some pretty good albums and tracks but it wasn't holding the impact that it would have if he had maybe stayed in the good graces. I don't it's one of those double edge sword type deals.



I really liked this song off when I first heard it, and listening to it again today for the first time I liked it but not as much. A large part of it has to do with my love for most things Eminem (minus Encore and Relapse). When I first heard the track I agreed that Em did kill the Game on his own track but since re-listening and hearing Eminem drop nastier verses I think that comment downgrades Games ability to rap because this isn't Em's best work, nor is it his worse. It's just him dropping in and making it a song because his name is attached.

I recently read an interview with Game where he states that he loves going after rappers, but the one he stays away from is Eminem because he knows Em will rip him up. I kind of liked that he acknowledged that. It's good to have that understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment