Painting Doors Is Fun

Alright folks I'm back from the house in Pennsylvania and shall be giving a better effort then yesterdays post. Apologies for the lameness but would you really feel like writing when this was your view?


Yeah that's what I thought. Today is a new day though and we've got a new song to discuss. The car ride back home is about three hours and change (depending on the traffic of course) so there is a lot of time to be playing ones ipod. The way up is the best time to play the ipod because you're all giddy to be going to the house. Shea and I have a good system where one ipod gets played until the first rest stop and we switch ipods upon leaving said rest stop. It's all very diplomatic. The way home is usually a more mellow sound as it's admitting that the weekend is over and that work is looming over the horizon. Such is life.

Last week I dropped the ball and forgot to have Shea hit the shuffle button, so today we made up for that mistake. It's fascinating how my ipod responds to her. The fact that Paint It Black started playing was kind of funny considering that she gave me the Forty Licks album as a birthday present before we started dating. So it's not really funny ha-ha it's more funny hee-hee.



There are two thoughts that go through my head when Paint It Black starts to play. The first is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I believe that it's book three, Waste Lands, that uses the song. I don't want to ruin the story for those of you who haven't read it (that's like giving away the ending of Braveheart), but at this part of the books Eddie is having a dream about being younger and seeing another character, Jake. These dreams lead to a series of events that will bring Jake to the other characters and the present time line of the story (yeah it's a bit confusing). Any way in order to bring Jake to the present time line a door must be drawn. Eddie keeps thinking of/hearing Paint It Black in his dreams and in his head. So long story short Paint It Black always makes me think of the Dark Tower. As a matter of fact I've been meaning to gather up the songs from the Dark Tower books and making a playlist similar to the ones I've made for Lost. Yes, I think this is a good project for the week.

The second thought, a brief one, is of the movie Stir of Echoes. I believe that I've only seen it two or three times but I'm pretty sure that they used the song in the trailer. Every time I think of this movie I think of the scene with that girls fingernail. Ugh. I hate things like that in horror movies. I don't mind someone getting stabbed to death but once their fingernails start to break or split I'm out. Especially when the director feels the need to show the viewer the nail separating from the person. That's just freakin' gross. It always makes the same noise to. Just thinking about it makes me uneasy.

Paint It Black is a very haunting song. From that opening line all the way through the end this song just makes me feel dark and cold inside. Now do you think the character in this song actually believes that his "darkness" will go? Is it possible to go through a phase where you want to destroy all color (or in this case paint red doors black) or is this something that is a more rooted to ones soul? What I like about Paint It Black is that it's a dark sort of depressing song that doesn't make you feel depressed. Yes it's haunting and a bit creepy, but it's such an awesome rock song that it doesn't wear on me. Isn't it great when you find a sort of dark, depressing song that doesn't make you want to jump off a bridge? Also I'd like to give Paint It Black mad props for being the only song I can think of that uses the word "blotted". It's just not a word you hear very often in music.

It's Sunday so you know what that means. It's time for-

Five Songs That I Can't Live Without (At Least This Week)
1. Always On the Run- Lenny Kravitz
2. My Doorbell- White Stripes
3. Imitosis- Andrew Bird
4. Benny and the Jets- Haley Reinhart (she's awesome people)
5. Theme of Rome- Danger Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment